Good morning ladies, and Happy Friday! I was going to do one of my weekly Friday Favorites posts, but Whitney over at Live Run Love Yoga tagged me in this fun activity that’s quickly making it around the blog world.
Here are the rules:
1. Post these rules. (check)
2. You must post 11 random things about yourself.
3. Answer the questions set for you in their post.
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
5. Go to their blog and tell them you’ve tagged them.
6. No stuff in the tagging section about you are tagged if you are reading this. You legitimately have to tag 11 people.
OK, here goes…11 random things about myself…
1. I am color blind, mostly with different shades of browns, greens, and reds. I got the gene from my dad, but still love him anyway! People don’t realize it’s not as bad as they think. I CAN see color, and yes, I know the sky is blue and the grass is green. But throw a box of colored pencils on the floor and have me pick up all the green ones? Now we’ve got a problem. Last Valentine’s Day, The Boy bought me two dozen roses in shades of yellow, pink, and purple because he didn’t want me to mistake the red ones for poop brown.
2. I am a HUGE worry-wort and always have been (yes, totally one of those annoying back seat drivers), yet I went skydiving in New Zealand two years ago out on a whim. (shhh no one needs to know I’m a scaredy cat)
3. I have a group of a dozen close friends from college whom I still talk to every day. They make me laugh/give me inspiration/tell it like it is and I love that about them. We will totally all be at one another’s weddings and I can’t wait ’til the first one of us gets married.
4. My very first “real” boyfriend is in fact The Boy. He was my first I Love You & the first to be welcomed into my family. Yes, I was single for 23 years of my life. That is, if you don’t count the middle school boyfriends I had who’d just walk me to the bus & avoid me in the lunch line. Oh, to be 12 again.
5. I absolutely adore sushi, peanut butter, dark chocolate, red wine and tequila
6. I was born and raised in Connecticut (where my family still live), went to college in Virginia (at James Madison University where I got a degree in Journalism & Communication), and this will be my third year living in Boston
7. I despise olives.
8. I can’t stand Debbie Downers who complain about anything & everything all day long. If you don’t like something/someone, then do something about it. That is that.
9. I consider myself very awkward, and if you really got to know me you’d probably think so too. It’s hard to explain on my blog, but I’m totally one of those go-for-the-kiss-when-it-was-really-a-hug, say too much sorta girls. I like to call it quirky.
10. My favorite band is The Beatles. I could listen to their music all day long. I also have a strong for of all oldies, classic rock, Cat Stevens, Coldplay, Ingrid Michaelson, Chili Peppers, and Sublime. As you can see, my music taste is ALL OVER THE PLACE.
11. I’ve worked in about six different jobs since I’ve moved to Boston, and that doesn’t even count the freelance stuff. I took something positive from each position (even the jobs I hated), and now know what I want to be “when I grow up.” After trying the 9 to 5s, dabbling in waitressing, and taking on tons of gigs, I realized it’s just not me. I’m a work-for-myself kinda gal, and I have a true passion for making other people feel good, especially when it comes to their health and happiness. That’s why I decided to go back and get my degree as a Holistic Health Coach through IIN, and you can check out my new health coaching business Zesty Living here. I finally know this is where I’m supposed to be, and it feels darn good.
And now, to answer Whitney’s questions for me:
1. If you had to choose, would you pick running over yoga or vice versa?
This is a tough one, but I’d have to say most of the time its running. I love the way it calms me down, gets me in a zone, and helps me focus. Then again, lately I’ve been trying to add yoga back in for the phenomenal benefits: de-stressing, strengthening, toning, flexibility, detoxification, mental clarity, etc. I like to mix up my workouts as you can tell!
2. Kindle, iPad or Actual Book?
Actual book. 100%. There’s just something joyful about curling up with a copy of your favorite book. I also love how they smell AND flipping through the pages AND collecting new books for my book shelf.
3. Favorite fitness magazine and why?
Women’s Health because it has the most variety – – fitness, recipes, relationships, sex, you name it and I usually tend to enjoy their content.
4. Favorite vegetable and favorite way to cook it?
I’d say broccoli sauteed in garlic, olive oil and lemon juice OR sweet potatoes mashed up with a blend of seasonings (right now I’m loving cumin, salt, pepper and a dash of cinnamon)
5. What is your favorite kind of sweet? Cake, ice cream, cookies, tortes, you name it!
6. The Olympics are this summer, what sport are you excited to watch?
Swimming! I used to be a swimmer in high school, and I enjoy watching the strong, adrenaline rush.
7. What kind of running shoes do you wear? Why?
Asics. I got a special par with extra padding meant for flat-feet which work wonders on me. I don’t even remember what they’re called but I like ’em a lot.
9. What kind of yoga mat do you have? Do you even have a yoga mat?
I own a bright yellow one my mom gave me. Again, not sure of the brand. But I usually tend to use the mats the studio provide anyway!
10. What is your favorite topic to blog/write about?
Body image and motivational pieces for women, because I LOVE making other people feel good (no matter what size or what they’re going through in life). I feel happy when other people are happy, as cheesy as that sounds.
11. What do you do for a day job?
I work at Exhale Spa as a Guest Experience Associate, am a freelance copwriter for a parenting company in Boston, and also pick up freelance writing gigs quite often. Currently, my schedule is packed because I’m also studying to become a Certified Health Coach, and can start taking clients THIS month, so things are really starting to pick up business-wise!
And now, my 11 questions for those of you I tagged…
1. Who’s your #1 role model and why?
2. If you were planning a dinner party TONIGHT, what would you prepare for your guests?
3. What’s your sign and do you believe in zodiac/horoscope kinda stuff?
4. What is a deal-breaker for you when it comes to relationships or dating?
5. Are you reading any good books right now? If so, what? If not, what’s the last GREATEST book you’ve read?
6. What’s something strange you simply can’t live without – – be it a beauty product, a food you crave, etc.?
7. Where do you see yourself in 10 years from now?
8. If you could travel anywhere in the world for a week, where would you go?
9. What’s your favorite hobby, aside from blogging?
10. Are you shy when you first meet people or bubbly, social butterfly?
11. Best way to blow off stress = ___________