Now that it’s summertime, the weather is hot and most likely so are you. And I’m not talking about how you look in that LBD of yours. I’m talking about your body internally (and externally) feeling overheated.
When our bodies are taking on too much heat, it comes out in different ways for different people. Symptoms may include feeling irritable and angry, increased stressed, breaking out in peculiar rashes and itchiness, or having digestion issues.
These could all be signs that your body needs to cool down – literally! One of my favorite ways to cool down during these humid, summer months is by incorporating seasonal cooling foods and drinks. After all, Mother Nature created these foods for a reason, so let’s take advantage of what’s in season to best heal our bodies!
Here are some of my favorite cooling remedies to incorporate into the diet:
- Fresh berries like blueberries, strawberries and blackberries
- Green Leafy Vegetables like Kale, Spinach & mixed greens
- Melons (including Watermelon, Honeydew and Cantaloupe)
- Summer squash
- Coconut, coconut milk and coconut water
- Peppermint tea
- Citrus fruits like lemon and limes
- Chilled water with fresh mint
Incorporate these techniques into your lifestyle:
- Deep breathing
- Avoidance of highly spicy foods which can overheat the body
- Stress management techniques
What are your favorite ways to stay cool during the summer months? For additional information, recipes and tips on healthy eating, visit my health counseling website for women, Zesty Living.