Last night, I was reading the latest issue of Boston’s Natural Awakenings magazine and stumbled upon this quote by author Melody Beattie: “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.”
What a beautiful reminder to be thankful for what we have, and stretch yourself to find the beauty in the little things. I think we can all work on finding a little more gratitude, no matter what the circumstance.
This past week, I had been bumming out about money. While it would have been pretty sweet to have won the powerball, I reminded myself that money does not buy love. It does not bring happiness, peace or even success. It’s just a thing.
While there are many wealthy people out there who are successful and brilliant, there are an equal number of people who are are living by the week who are just as successful and brilliant.
So today, I want to express my gratitude for those things I am forever grateful for:
- My supportive family who never judge, and always encourage me
- The fact that I just celebrated two years with an amazing man who taught me what love is supposed to feel like
- Access to healthy food, even if that means I blow my paychecks at Whole Foods or farmer’s markets
- My knowledge in the field of nutrition & ability to help and change lives of so many people
- An apartment, that even though has the smallest kitchen I’ve ever seen, keeps me cozy and safe, and creates new memories each and every day
- My strength, that gets me through a tough day, a half marathon, a yoga practice
How do you feel about gratitude? What do you appreciate in life, that you already have?