I’ll let you in on a little secret: my go-to requested birthday meal is Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken Parmesan. Yes, the two of them together. But it has to be homemade by my mother. And it only tastes that good on my birthday. It is my birthday meal, after all. I simply adore the combination of a hearty, homemade marinara with the creamy white Alfredo. Not a likely combination, but it’s genius.
Sometimes I think I could eat that meal every day for the rest of my life, but then again it wouldn’t taste as good that way. Since it isn’t my birthday every day (and no one should consume that amount of cream & cheese 365 days of the year), I’ve created my own health-i-fied version. The Healthy Chicks version.
Using avocados in place of cream and just a pinch of optional parmesan cheese, you can feel a bit more confident indulging. I’m not saying you should eat this meal every day of the year either, but you can feel a little better about it (as will your tummy) when you do prepare it. Enjoy!
Healthy Chick(en), Broccoli & Avocado Fettuccine “Alfredo”
Makes 4 to 5 servings
What Ya Need:
- 8 oz. brown rice spaghetti
- 1 bag frozen broccoli (or equivalent fresh)
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, preferably organic, sliced into small chunks
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- freshly shaved parmesan cheese (optional)
For “Alfredo” Sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 c. almond milk
- 2 medium sized avocados
- 5 cloves garlic (use less if you’re not a huge garlic fan)
- 1 tsp. each oregano, basil & parsley
- few shakes of red pepper flakes
How To Make It:
1. Heat a large skillet to medium heat & coat with olive oil. Sautee chicken for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Add in broccoli, salt and pepper, cover and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer. While that’s cooking, boil up your pasta and cook according to directions.
2. In a separate saucepan, heat 1 TB olive oil with 1 clove garlic on low heat. Add in 1/4 c. of the almond milk and bring to a simmer. Mix in herbs, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper.
3. In the meantime, take out a high-speed blender (I recommend using a Vitamix*) to prepare your sauce. Blend together the avocados, lemon juice, 5 cloves garlic, and remaining 1/4 c. of the almond milk until creamy. Then slowly whisk into the stove-top sauce mixture.
4. Drain the pasta, and mix with “Alfredo” sauce, chicken and broccoli. Feel free to top with freshly shaved parmesan cheese.
*To purchase your own Vitamix, browse their site here & use coupon code 06-007907 at checkout for FREE shipping!