When I first graduated college, my dream was to become a big-shot NYC magazine editor. I envisioned myself running around on assignments, traveling and living the highlife. I also remember being super envious of my friends who scored jobs where they could travel. Visiting different cities? Spending the night in swanky hotel rooms? Room service? I wanted a piece of that glamorous life.
Needless to say, little-old-me took a different path, and in doing so my old aspirations began to shift. And while I do have to travel from time-to-time for work, I quickly realized how not-so-glamourous the whole 24/7 travel thing can be. Along with room service + first class seating also comes added pressure, lack of sleep, and the struggles of finding something healthy to eat on-the-go. Not to mention, traveling can also be downright stressful.
Do wellness + traveling really go hand-in-hand?
Maybe not traditionally, but over the years I’ve gathered little tips ‘n’ tricks to bring back that “glamour” (+fun!) to traveling once again, while still making healthy choices to boot. After all, there’s no reason to compromise your own wellbeing for flying points — so why not do both. With Fit2Fly week approaching (more on that soon!) I wanted to share my top 8 travel tips I’ve collected over the years…
P.S. There’s a special giveaway at the end of this post, so stay tuned!
1. Get Moving: I’m not going to lie; squeezing in time for fitness while on travel isn’t a simple task. With work meetings to dinners out, it can be hard to make time for exercise. Rather than beating yourself up over missing your daily 5-mile run or Crossfit class, meet in the middle with something that works for you. Perhaps you squeeze in a sunrise yoga class, do some core work in your hotel room, or take a brisk walk on the boardwalk. If that’s not possible, try to get outside for some fresh air – perhaps a quick walk on your lunch break will do the trick. Feeling blah from all that flying? Be sure to stretch and try to get some movement in some way or another!
2. Stay Hydrated: I know you hear this one over and over again, but proper hydration is usually the first thing to go when our mind is on other tasks. It’s especially important to make sure your body is hydrated when flying! Instead of the juice or soda, ask for the flight attendant to keep filling up your water (hey, it’s free!) And if you *must* have a drink in-flight, go for something more refreshing like a vodka soda or wine spritzer. I also like to keep an empty reusable water bottle with me in my suit-case which becomes my best friend once I’m on the ground!
3. Pack Ahead: The biggest obstacle in trying to eat right while traveling is failure to plan ahead. We all know how unhealthy (and not to mention, expensive!) most airport food can be. I like to bring along healthy snacks like raw nuts, homemade trail mix, fresh fruit and nut-butter (like these on-the-go squeeze packs by Justin’s.) I’m also in love with all the snack-size products by Organic Living Superfoods, especially the Buffalo Almonds + Ranch Cashews – pretty cool that everything is vegan, gluten free and organic! (Use code healthychicks10 for 10% off your first online order!)
4. Do your research: Just as important as planning ahead is doing a little research on your final destination – especially if you’ve never been there before or don’t have friends in the area! Need a healthy breakfast recommendation? Looking for gluten-free dining options? Not sure which yoga studio is right for you? Girl, I hear ya! When I need answers, I usually rely on the lovely world of the web (twitter, Facebook and asking other bloggers is always a great start.) If you don’t have any luck there, you certainly can’t go wrong with good ol’ Yelp.
5. Breathe + Let It Go: I can’t stress this one enough. If you’re anything like me, traveling can cause some extra anxiety. (OK, a lot of anxiety…just ask my husband!) Be it work nerves or fear of heights, you’re definitely not alone! During these rather anxious times, it’s more important than ever to breathe and LET IT GO. Hanging on to that added stress does not do a body good. My favorite ways to relax are deep breathing, squeezing in a yoga class (if your schedule permits!) and essential oils. Check out my personal doTERRA shop for more info on essential oils + to purchase some for yourself – right now my favorites are Balance + Serenity. I seriously don’t leave the house without balance – just a dab or two on wrists, below ears or soles of the feet will do ya!
6. Upgrade your beauty products: Does your travel bag need an upgrade? I always say what you put on your body is just as important as what you put into your body. Same goes for when traveling, especially since long flights + dehydration can do a number on our skin. Right now my favorite new all-natural beauty products are Om Aroma’s Neroli Toning Mist, grapefruit deoderant cream by Meow Meow Tweet, and jojoba oil for removing makeup + moisturizing! Shove ‘em in that carry-on + don’t look back!
7. Pamper yourself: Just because you’re traveling doesn’t mean you don’t deserve a little pampering! Find some time to squeeze in a little self-care – book a massage, get a facial or even just paint your nails a bright spring-y color in the hotel room. Do something that makes you feel extra good + beautiful inside. If there’s no time for pampering during the trip, make sure you book yourself some solid me time when you return.
8. Take time to unplug: Plugged in 24/7? Trust me, I can relate. It’s important to take some time to unplug, especially when traveling to new + exciting cities! Look around, appreciate the beauty of nature and take some time for yourself. And always be open to learning something new! One of the best times to unplug is during the flight — it’s my favorite time to take out my journal, read a book or catch up on goals / to-do-listing (without being all hooked up to WiFi.) The creative juices really begin to flow when you take some time away from technology. (I know, easier said than done!) Oh and please promise me you’ll get some darn sleep!
Ok, it’s giveaway time…
As I mentioned, AIRMALL is hosting Fit2Fly week at Logan Airport this coming week, focusing on promoting health + wellness while traveling. They’ve got lots in the works, including free yoga sessions, mini massages, healthy snacks and fitness giveaways!
Since we can’t all have the fortune of traveling through Logan Airport this week, AIRMALL provided me a Fitbit Flex to giveaway to one lucky reader, in order to promote movement, motivation + fun while traveling!
In order to enter the giveaway, follow the steps below:
1. Simply share your favorite healthy travel tip and/or one you’d like to start implementing in the comments below! (required)
2. Optional: 1 bonus point for sharing your tip on twitter, instagram or Facebook. Make sure you #Fit2Fly and tag me! (Twitter: @healthy_chicks Facebook: @HealthyChicksGroup instagram: @healthychicks) Post an additional comment below noting that you’ve shared!
3. That’s it…Goodluck! Get out, and get #Fit2Fly
The giveaway ends Friday 5/1 at 5pm EST. Open to US residents only.