As I mentioned on Friday, things are looking up for this here Healthy Chick. I’m making it a point this week to give myself a break, be a little easier on myself, and have a little more faith in all things in life: my relationships, my job outlook, my future writing career, myself. Yesterday’s 75 minute yoga class definitely helped me get to a place of calm…a place of belief. I’ve decided I’m going to make practicing yoga a regular part of my life again…I’ve missed the way it makes me feel. It’s an indescribable feeling of being on top of the world, like the entire world is at your finger tips for you to control.
Anyway, when things got a little sour last week, I decided to make the best of the situation and make lemonade for the boy and I. Yes, homemade lemonade (I actually squeezed all the lemons myself…what a workout!) Then I created a delicious Mango & Black Bean salsa to pair with our lemonade for a little outdoor picnic of sorts. It was much needed, and we both agreed I nailed the two recipes:
When Life Gives You Lemons Lemonade
-3/4 c. organic sugar (or equivalent in agave syrup)
-1 1/2 c. boiling water
-6 c. cold water
-extra thin lemon slices, strawberries, or mint leaves for garnish (optional)
1. Boil water, and add in sugar. Stir.
2. In the meantime, juice the lemons into a bowl, being careful to catch the seeds (don’t want to accidentally drink one of those babies!)
3. In large (pretty) pitcher, combine hot sugar water, lemon juice, and cold water.
4. Add ice and optional lemon slices, mint or a few strawberries for a pretty touch! Chill and serve.
Mango & Black Bean Salsa
-1 can black beans, strained
-1/2 can chickpeas
-2 small tomatoes, diced
-1 small red onion, chopped
-handful cilantro (add as much as you like to taste)
-1 jalapeno pepper, chopped well
-1/2 whole mango, chopped
-1 avocado, sliced into squares
-juice of 1 small lime
-1 clove garlic, crushed
-salt to taste
1. Mix all of the ingredients together well. Add extra cilantro on top to garnish and serve with low-sodium tortilla chips!
This salsa makes any day a happy, sunshine-y day!