Summer is in the air and on my mind lately, as it’s my absolute favorite season. These past few weeks I’ve been spending lots of time with nature including a 3-day camping trip, a couple hikes, and the first beach trip of the season! To me, that feeling of freedom and playfulness is what summer is all about.
But unfortunately, year after year right around this time we get bombarded by the “bikini body” ads and diet scare tactics. While I am so not a fan of diets, quick fixes and making women feel bad about their bodies, I do think we all want to feel our best selves during the summer (but going on a diet is not the answer).
Instead, it’s about the little things we do every day that help us feel good in our body, mind and soul — and having fun! In partnership with O.N.E. Coconut Water, I wanted to share with you my go-to summer health hacks — including a refreshing way to spruce up your margarita
1. Move more. Find a workout that lights you up, and do that. Don’t think too much about the calories burned or your time; just do something that makes you feel good! Earlier this week, I loaded up on some O.N.E. Pure Coconut Water, and then went for a run to my local Whole Foods to stock up on groceries. It made running more fun when I had a destination, and felt properly hydrated!
2. Add cinnamon to just about anything to tame a sweet tooth — your coffee, oatmeal, yogurt, you name it!
3. Mix berries, fresh herbs (like mint or basil), cucumber or freshly squeezed lemon into your water & refrigerate for easy drinking. Load up on water throughout the day, taking a reusable jug with you wherever you go!
4. Throw out your diet books,and instead ask yourself “How do I want to feel?” Do more of those things.
5. Skip the burger bun & opt for a lettuce wrap instead — most restaurants are happy to do the switch for you and you still get the juicy flavor of the burger!
6. Don’t have time for breakfast? Plan ahead by making overnight oats. The night before, just fill a mason jar with old fashioned rolled oats, almond milk, cinnamon and frozen berries of your choosing. Cover and refrigerate. In the morning, add in extras like almond milk & fresh berries! Easy, peasy.
7. Sucker for comfort foods like cheesy nachos and mac & cheese? Enjoy a little bit if that’s what you’re really craving, but also check in with yourself! Sometimes cravings for comfort foods could mean you’re craving love & comfort in your life. Before digging in, try taking a cozy bath, calling your bff or doing something nice for yourself!
8. Say no thanks to the extra mocha pumps at your local coffee shop, and opt for cocoa powder & cinnamon instead. You still get a flavor boost without the extra calories and sugar rush!
9. Plan ahead. Gather all your favorite recipe ideas from Pinterest, magazines & books, and decide what you’re going to cook that week. Most of our not-so-smart choices come from simply not planning ahead & having a stocked fridge! I like to post my meal ideas for the week on my fridge so I can get inspired & hit the kitchen before takeout becomes too tempting.
10. In lieu of the sugar-laden margarita mix (with a bunch o’ nasty ingredients), opt to make your own using fresh lime juice and RIPE agave margarita mix. A splash of O.N.E. Coconut Water would add a delicious summery touch. With 3 to 4 coconuts jammed into each 500 ml bottle, your margarita will be screaming tropical vacation!
11. Freeze berries & grapes for a delicious, refreshing summer snack. Makes for a great late-night or post-workout treat!
12. Use hummus or mashed avocado on your sandwiches in place of mayo or other creamy condiments!
13. Hit up your local farmer’s market for great deals on local, in-season items while also supporting the local community. It’s one of my favorite ways to shop,, and I always leave feeling inspired with new recipe ideas.
14. Make a wine spritzer with half white whine, half seltzer water. Add in some berries for an extra twist! This is the perfect poolside drink, and my momma’s fave
15. Switch up the same ol’ pasta night, and make zoodles! Simply get a zucchini or two, and use a sprializer to made “zucchini noodles.” Last night, I made a zoodle marinari, with onion, garlic, broccoli, zucchini, olive oil, basil, oregano, sea salt, and some spicy seasoning. It was delicious, and hubby ate his bowl up in minutes!
16. Change up your burger game by trying your hand at homemade veggie burgers. I tried out Oh She Glows “Our Perfect Veggie Burger” recipe earlier this week, and they were absolutely divine. A touch of Sir Kensington’s ketcup, and you’re golden.
17. Craving savory & salty snacks all day? Join the club! Luckily, there’s a lot of great healthy alternatives out there that still do the trick. My personal favorite? Pizza Almonds by Organic Living Superfoods — they’re raw, vegan and gluten free! Psst. my hubby works for them but I swear, they are the bomb
18. Feeling unmotivated & lacking passion? Start each morning with a positive mantra or affirmation! It’s such a fun, positive way to start the day, and makes getting out of bed and heading to work much more enjoyable.
19. Are you a late-night snacker? Instead of grabbing just about anything & everything in sight, slow down, take a deep breath and think about what it is you’re craving. Then make yourself a bowl/plate of whatever it is you’re eating. This helps you be more aware and eat more mindfully.
20. Skip the sugar-loaded, artificial sports drinks and choose a more natural hydrator like coconut water. We’re currently sipping on O.N.E Pure Coconut Water in our house, my favorite flavor since I don’t like anything too sweet. Did you know it has no added sugar, and is hand-picked, drained and packaged at the source? That’s the kind o’ summer hydrator I’m talkin’ about
21. Embrace leftovers: Cook more than you need, and then refrigerate of freeze for another healthy meal later in the week or month. This takes the stress out of cooking and prevents going for something else that might not make you feel so good.
What are your go-to summer health hacks? Share below, I’d love to hear!
Note: This post is sponsored by O.N.E. Coconut Water, and I was compensated & given product as part of a campaign. As always all opinions on the blog are my own!